Wednesday, 15 April 2015

United Makeup Artists Expo - Pro Kit Haul

No your eyes do not deceive you, I really am updating my blog after months away. I'm not going to go into a lengthy description of what I've been up to, lets just say work and life got in the way, it can be tough being a freelancer. I also can't make any promises about how often I'll be blogging, but for now I'm excited to be back!

Last weekend I attended the United Makeup Artists Expo in Islington. It's a similar idea to IMATS but UK based so on a smaller scale, but with lots of wonderful artists demoing their skills and doing presentations as well as an array of great brands selling their wares, mostly at discounted prices.

While I was there I made a serious dent in my bank balance and picked up a ton of new products for my kit so as I've shared my IMATS hauls on here in the past I thought it would be fun to do that again for this one.

As you can see, I did the shopping aspect of the show justice. I did spend a lot but everything I got was discounted, some of the savings were amazing and only two of these things are for personal use so I don't feel too guilty about it.


These first items are all for special effects work, which is the area of makeup I am most passionate about. This is actually me being restrained, I could have spent an absolute fortune updating my fx kit.
Illustrator palettes - These are alcohol activated paints which I mainly use for painting prosthetic appliances but they are waterproof so are great straight on the skin too when you want something with a little longevity. They apply as transparent washes so are great for subtle skin tones or things such as veining and bruising where it needs to look like the colour is under the skin.
Le Maq Pro - Le Maq Pro is one of my favourite brands for use in film and tv, I almost exclusively use their foundations and concealers these days. This palette is a little different as it's a selection of shades for creating some nice corpse effects, their products are wax based so a lot more buildable and subtle than greasepaints. The Pink bottle on the right is an activator that can be used in conjuction with this to dilute the consistency.
Maekup - the rest of the products are by the brand Maekup which can be hard to get hold of but is usually stocked in pro makeup stores in London and online. I grabbed a big bag of gelatine which I use for making prosthetic appliances when I'm not working in silicone and is my favourite of its kind. A couple of products for simulating psoriasis and dry lips and lastly those handy empty pots which are something I always need for decanting products on set.


Makeup Forever - I've used their HD translucent powder in the past and loved it but have been waiting for an occasion like UMAE to grab another when it would be a little cheaper. It is super fine so doesn't leave as much residue as other brands whilst still keeping the skin nice and matte.
Emj - This pencil roll wasn't something I expected to pick up but something I really do need. Currently all my lip and eye pencils are in clear zip bags which has been okay but I find I only ever use a small portion of them because I can't see what I have. Now they can all be laid out on my makeup station which will make life a lot easier.
OCC - I used these tinted moisturisers on a CBBC job a couple of weeks ago, they aren't something I would use on many actresses or models but are perfect for men and kids as they don't really add any colour, they just even out the skin, that's if you match to their skintone correctly. By the time I came to buy these I had already spent a lot of money so I just grabbed three shades to start with which covers most skintones when mixed, I am so happy to have these in my kit though.
Zoeva - Zoeva is fast becoming a favourite and I've been buying a fair few of their brushes ever since I first got some at IMATS last summer. I picked up three more, mostly because I couldn't resist, but I always figure it's something I can never have too many of...right? I also grabbed one of their eyeliner pencils because it is seriously the strongest, creamiest liner I've ever found. This is one of the gifts I bought myself as I had been using a black powder shadow by Illamasqua on my waterline to get an intense black but this is the perfect replacement.


Last but most definitely not least is my Inglot palettes. I actually went up on three separate occasions because I just couldn't resist. They are however all things I needed topping up in my kit, minus the perfume palette at the top which was the other item I treated myself with.
Yes you heard correctly, that is cream perfume. I had no intention of buying this but swatched each scent on a different finger then didn't know what to do with it so wiped it on a wrist, combining them to create the most perfect scent. (in my opinion) I can't really describe it except to say that it's fresh but not overly feminine and I'm a big fan of unisex perfumes.
I don't want to go into too much detail for the other palettes as I will do a separate blog post with the shade names and swatches but I decided to create a contour palette, a dusky blush palette and a neutral eye shadow palette, all of which are mattes as I mainly work in film where I don't use a lot of shimmer. I've always loved Inglot and am yet to find a product of theirs I don't rate highly so it was time to inject a little more into my kit.

That's everything folks! I'd love to hear what you think of my choices, I hope it was interesting seeing a haul that was bought for work rather than personal use.

If you were a regular reader I'm sorry I've been absent so long, and if any of you came back to read this I'd love it if you left me a little comment telling me so. I'm going to spend a couple hours catching up on my own favourite blogs now before getting back to an illustration commission.

Lastly, I've been selling a load of clothes on Ebay over the past few weeks to save some money for a trip later in the year and there's a bunch ending tonight if you fancy checking them out here.

3 comments:

  1. So jealous of all your pick! Especially the inglot palettes as their eye shadows look amazing! I cannot believe the perfume palette though, never heard of anything like that before!

    CLOTHING CONSCIOUS// FASHION & LIFESTYLE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. the palettes all look amazing!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Zoeva brushes!!! Fab haul :-)

    ReplyDelete